Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Two Hour Delay And Talking About Writing

Today we have a two hour delay.

Gotta love a two hour delay.

Also today, I'm giving a talk about writing. Yes, me. I haven't even sold my book yet, but one of my teachers from middle school knows about my agent and my two short story sales; she thinks I'd have something to offer her students. I'm going to talk about taking initiative, doing your research, rejection (even sharing a couple!), comparing your journey to another writer's, the waiting required, finding your niche, and the most important thing of all for young writers (actually, for ALL writers), revision! Now that I think about it, my journey towards publication has taught me a lot. Toughened me up. Made me realize that not everybody is going to like everything I do. That I'm not necessarily some writing prodigy and that's okay. That things, for the most part, don't happen overnight.

Don't worry, though. I still have a healthy share of naive optimism!

In the comments section, please tell me what you've learned from your writing journey and what you would share with middle school students.

1 comment:

  1. Well, I'm the same age as you, but I don't have an agent yet, so I'm not sure I'd be the best person to share writing tips with middle school students about writing.

    In my opinion, though, revision is a big thing. I find it so hard to revise, but I know I have to get through it and revision becomes easier with time. All of your topics sound great, but I agree with you that revision is the most important thing. People need to know they can't just write a perfect novel in their first go.

    Also just thought I'd let you know that you're pretty inspiring to me as a writer. I think I've been writing for about as long with you, because I finished my first novel when I was thirteen too, but I wasn't seriously thinking about publishing then. I've only started to think about that sort of stuff now. You just seem to have an amazing initiative.

    Good luck with selling your book! Is it on submission now?

    ReplyDelete