Thursday, February 12, 2009

Cover Love Tuesday (2)...Belated!

I guess this whole regular feature thing is going to take a while to get used to, since I forgot all about Cover Love Tuesday, where I blog about some extremely awesome covers. This week I'm going to take a look at one book on my To Be Read pile and one book I've read--and really enjoyed--before.

My first pick:
North of Beautiful by Justina Chen Headley, YA, published in February 2009
Now I haven't read this book yet, but what I really love about it the cover--besides having a stunning photograph--is how well it fits the book's description. From what I know, North of Beautiful is about a beautiful girl with a port wine stain on a side of her face. This cover captures that beauty, but it also captures that feeling of embarrassment and hiding that I hope will be explored in the book's pages. Overall, I think the photo has an emotional quality to it. The map compass thing (don't know the word for it, I'm afraid) is a good addition because, from reading the first chapter or so, I know the character has an interest in leaving town and a connection to mapping and geography. Thematically, maybe the image is hinting that the main character will be dealing with her direction in life. This cover was one of the main things that attracted me towards this book, as well as some stellar reviews!

My second pick:
Dramarama by E. Lockhart, YA, published in 2007

I don't know if I've mentioned it before, but I am a huge E. Lockhart fan! I really enjoyed this book. Needless to say, I enjoyed the cover as well. The black and white, the hair, the lipstick (especially since it's pink and pops out), etc., just look good together and make me think old-fashioned and classy. It also reminds me of theater, putting me into a place of pre-show jitters when you're hurrying to get on your makeup and costume. Also, I like the model's eyebrows--random, I know--and the entire effect of the author's name across the eyes; it's a good alternative to headless body covers and the like. The spine of this book stands out a lot too.

Thanks for reading. Hopefully Cover Love Tuesday (3) will come on time next week!

3 comments:

  1. I want to read that first one. And you are right, that is a fantastic cover.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to read NORTH OF BEAUTIFUL too.... though I think EVERMORE has the stronger cover out of the two (they use the same stock photo of the girl.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both of them are awesome covers :) You know, I've never read E. Lockhart and everyone else seems to love it. I should definitely go and get that book sometime.

    ReplyDelete