Saturday, February 28, 2009

North of Beautiful Review...and blog updates!

So...tonight is the last performance of the musical I'm in, which means, come next week, I'll finally be having some free time. I'm planning on working on this blog, as well as working on some of my writing. Hopefully this means I'll be able to do Cover Love weekly, as well as adding some more regular features.

In other news, I finished North of Beautiful by Justina Chen Headley yesterday and loved it. Though it's not exactly an action-packed novel, it sure was a page-turner. I wanted to know what was going to happen with Terra, an extremely complex character with a complex life filled with decisions about college, her future, her family, guys, and even her face. Terra made mistakes and sometimes I just wanted to shake her and make her do something--make her stand up for herself--, but throughout she remained sympathetic and understandable. I also loved the map making, traveling, and art (collages! i loved hearing about Terra's collages!) that also came into play in this book, helping set North of Beautiful apart from all the other books that explore beauty and finding yourself.

3 comments:

  1. Hmm, I've been seeing lots of great reviews for North of Beautiful around. in fact, I've just realized something about the cover today & blogged about it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. North of Beautiful sounds like a book I'll have to pick up sometime. Wow, musicals. All musicals amaze me. Good luck with the finale :)And yay for free time to work on writing. Free time to work on writing is so RARE that it is beautiful, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Megan, I just found your blog while looking through comments on Absolute Write (I'm a writer also, currently submitting a novel to agents). Congrats on snagging an agent, that's awesome! How's the quest for publication going?

    ReplyDelete